Powered by Blogger.

Friday 2 December 2011

Finding Meaning in Little Things


It has been a long time since I wrote last. My life here in Zambia is still as exciting as ever though I have been here (the same mission) more than 7 years now. Time is really flying so fast. The Lord as been so kind to my soul! In fact, so generous to my soul in all ways, lavishing my soul with so much love and affection in spite of the demanding lifestyle in the mission! I feel very much happy and serene.

I just had my five days of personal silence, which I spent in the Novitiate House of the Good Shepherd Sisters. It was a moment of relaxation, resting and praying and also moving around and seeing the realities of people outside. To be free (physically and mentally) from commitments for a while and spent it in silence was indeed a luxury! After that, I spent two days with my Filipino friends, doctors at Mwami Adventist hospital. I had a great moment of rest and I also prayed with them in their church. It was a happy reunion! They are so good and very hospitable.

Here I am, back to work again. I just finished our commitments in far away missions because they are unreachable by now. Rainy season has started, roads are full of water and mud, and very soon, flood will come. It is becoming impossible to go and visit them again. But I have strong faith in them, great admiration in fact! They don’t have priests for 6-7 months because of the rain, but they are always intact, praying together. God is amazing indeed!

Today is World AIDS Day. Last night we had beautiful candle lighting in the church with our caregivers, volunteers and clients who are HIV-AIDS positive. I love the silence as we were “counting the losses”- family, friends and relatives who died of HIV pandemic. I spread traditional clothes on the floor, a big cross, flowers and lots of candles. Each one also has each own candles. Each prayed and remembered their loved ones. Amazing!

I was greatly touched by their personal testimonies, their personal and family struggles, coping with HIV-AIDS and other complicated diseases. They are now very vulnerable, both husbands and wives and some children infected by the virus. I just can’t imagine the pains and sufferings, personal, material, emotional and spiritual crisis, on top of the economic crisis because of poverty. Yet, last night, they shared with so much confidence and calmness, for many of them have accepted their illness, which of course, they have to carry for the whole of their life. What a beautiful and touching witness of faith and trust in the Lord! I was truly humbled! We don’t have the reasons to complain, even in small things. More people are suffering than we do. We live in comfort, yet we complain even in little discomforts.

Aside from my ministerial duties, I have accepted to work as Site Coordinator for all the caregivers in the village. This is an additional work, a burden on my shoulder, especially consolidating reports and paper works and being the link to CARE International Chipata. But I find this job as another fulfilling duty. I meet with them regularly; I give some lessons on Nutrition, Health and HIV AIDS and other health related issues. I tell you, I am nothing! I have very limited knowledge, but I am learning a lot from them. I am giving the best I could especially time to listen and to stay closer with them. Perhaps, this is another form of evangelization! Evangelization through presence……

I am doing very little, but I have found meaning in these very little things. I am just so grateful to the Lord for all these opportunities. As I have said, He is so generous to my soul, and He is always lavishing me with love.

Christmas is very much approaching. There is nothing special here as to glittering decorations and fancy things, but I certainly have a very busy Christmas ahead of me. I cannot elaborate more, but I am wishing you a bless-filled Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Hope that you are well. Know that you are dear to my heart and in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP