Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday 13 December 2011

A People of Faith, A Suffering Humanity


This is just a sequel of my last reflection as it continuously appears in my mind.

We had a big gathering in the outstation today, though I just called a few of the caregivers to come for lessons and sharing on the table. I promised them a goat and some traditional drink (which they had to prepare themselves). To my surprise, they were almost three hundred people coming, newly recruit caregivers in the villages and HIV/AIDS clients, young mothers and husbands. It was really amazing!

I was so lucky because the health officer from the clinic came, an she was really a great help, especially on medical terms, and being well versed in Chinyanja, people understood her well. Another lucky thing is that I had the power points ready, given to me by Dr. Ang, a Filipino doctor from the Mwami Adventist Hospital. Everything prepared, from Nutrition to all types of diseases and illnesses.

There was astonishing reaction from people, they were so happy and they expressed their joy openly. Some questions were delicate and personal, but they were open to express their feelings. I can see by now changes in their behaviours, their approach towards illnesses. Many of them who came were sickly people, and I supposed many were HIV/AIDS positive.

Being in front, I had more chances of seeing their faces, and sometimes, by instinct, reading traces of their faces. Really they are people of faith but also a suffering humanity. Many are still young but they look already old and haggard. It seems that stress and pressure for survival is devouring their “youthfulness”. Many of them are getting old, living in real poverty, not even experiencing comforts in life. Every day is an activity for survival and hard work.

These two weeks has been so very busy for me because aside from seminars and teachings that I am doing with caregivers, I also have more than 50 students who are doing some piece works in the mission for school fees. I have to be with them always, organize the works, colleting firewood, cleaning the surrounding, slashing and others. Manual works is dear to me, but often, the heat of the sun makes me so exhausted at the end of the day.

My joy is that I see them working very hard to get a bit of money for school; especially many of them are in high school by now, single and double orphans. I dream for these youth for a better education. This is the only way to get out from poverty; that is why I also sacrifice so much of my time for them. They are the future of the parish, of the country and of the world.

Again, what I am doing is very little. The help doesn’t count much, but the joy inside and the dream itself for the young ones. It is not easy for them. I am hard on them at times, but I want them to value money, that it is not easy to get money. They have to work hard, to sweat out, so that they will value their studies- “Education through hard work.”

In the other parts of the world, young people don’t value their parents’ money because they live in abundance. Many students abuse their education and destroy their future. They indulge into drugs and alcohol. But at times, it is also the fault of their parents. They think that love can be substituted by monetary value. “Even if you have millions, but you don’t have time for the family and children, you are always a failure.” I always remind people on this.

On the other side, there is real poverty. There is real longing for education, but they don’t have the means because parents are so poor, parents die of sickness, parents are separated because of traditional practices, and most of these children are left in the hands of their old and sickly grandparents. The fruits of failed marriages, early pregnancies and polygamists are suffering, so they have to work hard, sweat out, skip meals, and be away for weeks to labour for money! What an irony! If only there is real sharing, many of them would have been educated long time ago.

Anyway, life is moving. We are all moving, sacrificing joyfully for others. Christmas is fast approaching. We are just having simple things, no glittering Christmas decors or Santa Claus' socks for sweets, or exchanging gifts, or fancy dinner etc. We live here according to what we can afford, in simplicity of our lifestyle. But we remain happy and joyful missionaries in the heart of Africa.

Merry Christmas to you. Know that you are always in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP