Powered by Blogger.

Monday 18 April 2011

Peter's Denial


There is something beautiful that I have discovered in this short narrative. The maidservant told Peter that ‘he must be one of the disciples of Jesus, and it was followed with two others, but Peter denied right away, and he even swore that he did not know anything about Jesus.

Here, Peter denied his identity, especially with his connection with Jesus, who was supposed to be his foundation. Peter loses not only his identity but also his dignity. He has been with Jesus for at least three years, how can he afford to deny Jesus when in fact, people are seeing them together every day? “I don’t know him!” A total denial of the Lord and of himself, which actually means, ‘I am nobody!’ He was lost and he has nowhere to go. He was enveloped with fear.

Then the cock crowed and the Lord looked straight at Peter. I could imagine the encounter. It must be shameful! The prediction of the Lord came true, and he was there face to face with the Lord. He, shivering with fear and guilt, and Jesus trembling with pains, so sorry for Peter, and yet, He looked at Peter with all love and compassion

I could imagine myself. Jesus looking at me with eyes of love and compassion. I need to! I have to identify myself on Christ, especially on the cross where he is hanging. My identity is there. My dignity is there hanging on the cross. Without the cross, what is the meaning of my missionary life? The Crucified Christ is the mirror where we could see our lives again, be reconciled and healed.
The encounter of Peter with Christ was an encounter of love. It is basically the same with our encounter with Christ; it is of love, a meeting of two hearts in love. It is the experience of total love of God for me, no matter how sinful I am. The love of Christ is poured upon, upon my misery. The torn body of Christ, bathed with blood heals my misery.

The encounter with Christ renewed Peter. He was given life again. It was a renewal of discipleship. It is the renewal of my discipleship. The cross brought me to an understanding of the Cross: ‘Look Raul how I paid for your sins!’

No comments:

Post a Comment

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP