Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Hummingbird


(This piece is originally a letter written by Fr raul to the General Superior of his religious congregation.)

Dearest Fr. Teresino,

Peace and God bless.

Winged creatures are my favorite images, from caterpillars to grasshoppers, ants/termites to birds. At this time here in Chikowa, it is the changing of feathers of little birds, smaller than my thumb. They change color into red, yellow, blue, green, orange, gray, and black, depending on the season. By now, many of them are red-orange, and I often meet them while driving, or just even outside the mission house.

I sat down silently, they have appeared and it allowed my imagination to run its roll of film. Silently, I entered into another sphere of my imagination, simply myself a HUMMINGBIRD. Yes, I was a hummingbird simply humming and chirping for my soul is given that sense of contentment and peace. I was that hummingbird who was simply that jealous why others have different colors and beautiful feathers. I was jealous and yet, I kept singing and humming my personal weakness, until they became my offering- that I cannot be everything, that I cannot have always what I want, that I am very limited and that, God work with me in my personal limitation.

Being a mere humming bird, I found contentment by praising God my joys and sorrows; and offering to God people and friends, whom I have encountered in my journey. I found contentment humming for the city birds, for the robins, for village birds and others. Hummingbirds, being so little, finds its contentment not on its size and color, but the joy and peace in the heart. The soul of this hummingbird has experienced that tremendous serenity, even in the most demanding and tiring mission. He finds his joy by humming his prayers to his Creator.

One day, the hummingbird tried to reach the upper atmosphere, where the eagles are, like falcons and others proudly soar. He tried to soar up high, but little by little he was losing strength, his wings got tired and feathers were little by little destroyed. Up there, he almost collapsed, not only because of tiredness but of great danger, putting his life at risk. He could easily be devoured by vultures, by eagles and dangerous flying beasts. He retreated and retreated, zooming downwards. He was also realizing that his life is meant to be down and little, but could possibly surpass the eagles and falcons in his silence and prayer and creative imagination. That is the real life, to remain little and hidden but able to travel everywhere and experience God’s presence in my friends through silence.

Surprisingly, I realized that I am a kind of hummingbird who could mix freely with the rest. I could hum for the robins and other little ones. Up above there was another small bird, how did He manage to be there, He only knows. He sung and hummed so that I was focused on Him. He is the son of the Bird of birds, of the Eagle of Eagles, of the Robin of Robins. He was the almighty bird. He called me for a play, for a carol, for singing and flying. He gave me strength and confidence. He was a mysterious hummingbird. Soaring up high and down was a mystery to me. He came to be like me, understands my weaknesses, and gives company when I am down, cheers me when I am sad. He is the Soul of all hummingbirds.

One day, He called me for a fly. He made me feel like I am Him, and told me: “There is another hummingbird that I want to entrust to you. He is the General Superior; he needs you even if you are very far from him. His soul is also in your hands. Together, we sing songs for him. We praise the Father and hum songs for your General superior. We sing praises of strength and dedication. He is the General Hummingbird who will attend your brothers and sisters. He hums and sings praises to everyone, but I will give you that task of taking good care of his soul, as he does for you deeply.”

Since then, in the depth of my soul, that Superior of the hummingbirds occupies a special corner in my heart. I promised to pray for his intentions; I glorify God for his strength. When I struggle and run out of strength in great difficulties, I also dedicate part of my sufferings for him. I am that unworthy hummingbird in your life Fr. Teresino. I could not do more, but I am sure you can hear my humming and praising as you stay in silence. This little hummingbird received such power to reach you even if you are miles away.

Much more than that, the Superior of all the hummingbirds on earth has received tremendous power from the Mighty One. Therefore, with such power, comes great responsibility. With such power he could reach everyone, work in their nest, walk outside, and hop from branch to branch, sing and hum for everyone. In silence he also reaches the smallest of all the hummingbirds, and together they hum and sing for the Almighty Hummingbird.

Isn’t it a beautiful picture of our souls? I am creative in my thoughts as I sit down in silence. I feel always I am a camera, film and director, directing films when I am in prayer. This is crazy, but at times, mental and imaging prayers help me to achieve something. I hope you understand how this smallest of all the hummingbirds is reaching you in prayers.

Lots of love,

Raul

No comments:

Post a Comment

  ©Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP